Sunday, April 1, 2012

Lattes, beaches and music in South Africa: My rejuvenating 2 week vacation


SOUTH AFRICA WAS AMAZING!! I had a wonderful two week vacation visiting friends from World Youth Choir, an international choral touring program for young professional musicians.  I did two summer sessions of WYC in 2009 and 2010, so I hadn’t seen these friends for nearly 2 years. I know South Africa is still considered a “developing” country, but let me tell you, for all practical purposes it was definitely “developed” and on par with First World country living. I flew to Cape Town and spent several days with a dear friend there, Tessa, who is a music student at Stellenbosch. We went to an opera: Fidelio, Beethoven’s only opera, I believe, and I also got my fill of classical/jazz music by going to various student performances, rehearsals, and even a choir concert. I thoroughly appreciated all things having to do with the school of music, especially since I’ve been away from it for a while now.  I also spent lots of time on the beach, perusing cute boutique shops, eating at delicious restaurants and having lattes. I probably averaged 2 fruffy lattes a day….you just can’t get that in Kenya.  Tessa and I planned to go to the famous Table Mountain, but it turned out to be too windy for the cable car to take us up that day. Instead we opted to do our own sight-seeing. So much blue water, and huge, vast mountains galore…just sheer beauty.

                                            Wine tasting with Tessa


                                            My first mojito in almost 7 months! It was so good.


                                Beautiful ocean, and behind us is a gorgeous back drop of mountains, including "Table Mountain."


Next I went to Pretoria, which is near Johannesburg. I stayed with another good friend there, Lhente, and her hubby Reynhardt.  Both wonderful, hilarious, compassionate, musical people.  Lhente conducts various choirs, and I got to go with her to two rehearsals: a high school group and a choir of all boys ranging from middle school to high school aged. I absolutely LOVED sitting in on her rehearsals and seeing her in action. Lhente’s high school choir was so bright and fun, and they sang a huge variety of repertoire.  Most of all, I couldn’t believe how dedicated they were—can you imagine 4 hour rehearsals every Friday afternoon? For a group of high school kids?! Wow. Her younger boys group was also outstanding.  One of the boys gave me a tour of the school, and it was just like Hogwarts! Stunning old, brick buildings with head masters and uniforms and such well-mannered boys.  I’ve never been referred to as “ma’am” quite so many times. I told them a bit about what I’m doing in Kenya, answered their questions, (“Ma’am, are there black people in Kenya?”) and sang a tune or two for them, which I think they enjoyed. Anyway, it was so nice to see old friends-Charlotte, Eugene, Jaco, Gert, Tessa, Lhente and Reynhardt.

                                 Sushi with Lhente and Reynhardt                            
                                    Lhente's adorable boys choir

                                  Delicious lattes

               Reuniting with WYC friends: Reynhardt, Lhente, Jaco and me

       Just having a good old time with Lhente, Gert and Jaco

Being so “at home” in South Africa really made if difficult for me to come back to Kenya.  While I knew I’d be fine and get going again, there are just so many challenges in Kenya.  It seems like an uphill battle more days than not.  When I’m home in America, I know the systems in place, I know how things work, I’m competent and confident in most areas. Here in Kenya though, I barely understand the systems in place, there is so much corruption, the language is often still a barrier, and I  find that I’m so much more dependent on other people. I have to ask how to do things, where to go, how much it should cost, how not to get ripped off, etc.  And I always have to second guess people's intentions and watch my back.  Not to mention the time it takes to walk everywhere- that is definitely a major hindrance on my independence.  I also just get worn out from explaining what I’m trying to do with music therapy, and consistently justifying that it is a worthy cause, only to be greeted by blank stares.  How nice to let my guard down a bit in South Africa.  It was so rejuvenating to be surrounded by amazing musicians, in a school of music, going to concerts and operas.  It was almost as if I got dumped back into my life as it was 2 years ago, which is enormously different than what it is now. How comforting to be reassured that the power of music IS real, and it DOES change lives. I needed that boost.  Anyway, I’m back in Kenya and getting into the groove of things again.

Things I was oh-so-thankful for during my “First-World” vacation:
Pumpkin seed rolls
Fixed prices—not being ripped off because I’m a mzungu!
Lattes
Clean air: no dust and very little exhaust to breathe in
Ice in drinks
Toilet seats, actually everything having to do with bathrooms
Drinking from the tap
Not being a minority
People that smell nice
Beaches
WINE
Not looking down while walking for fear of tripping on un-even dirt roads
Friends’ cars-not walking everywhere!
Infrastructure
Stop lights…oh goodness, stop lights
People wearing shorts and tanks
Good bread
Lhente and Tessa’s fluffy, nurturing house dogs
Fancy restaurants
Baby spinach
Fresh fruits other than mango, papaya, and bananas
Wonderful friends who spoiled me rotten.


No comments:

Post a Comment